Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Did you hear about the Morgans?

Did you hear about the Morgans?



Directed by Marc Lawrence.

Watched on Jan 11th

Starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Hugh Grant, Mary Steenburgen and Sam Elliot.

He said: This film did not attempt to break new boundaries. It did not set out to be the number one film of all time. If anything its aspirations were to be a date night film for married couples. In that aspect it accomplished it's goal. Witness relocation plot aside, this film is about a married couple that are going through a separation that neither of them really want, and their journey to figure out what if anything is between them. The film allowed the lead actors to keep to their strengths, that is to play themselves. Where the film excels is in its supporting cast, Mary Steenburgen and Sam Elliot are exceptional in their roles. The towns people of Ray, Wyoming were amusing if less than memorable. If you are looking for a 90 minute date night escape for you and your spouse this is aimed at you... This is not a movie for everyone but it is not the worst film out at the moment. *cough* Squeakuel *cough* {{{{I give it a 3 out of 5}}}}

She said:
I have to admit that Did you hear about the Morgans? wasn’t as awful as I thought it might be. Not that it was an example of brilliant filmmaking either. The cinematography didn’t blow me away, the actors won’t be getting Oscars and the screenplay won’t go down in history, but then that wasn’t what I was expecting. I was expecting a typical rom-com... and a typical rom-com was what I got.
I think most people have to admit the guilty pleasure of the odd I-don’t-have-to-think-about-this-too-hard film. This is one of those films: a separated New York couple are forced to live together in Wyoming. Hilarity and rekindling of lost feelings arises. What isn’t to like?
Despite saying this however there were a few clichés too many for me. I don’t think I am giving anything away by saying that this had the perfect Hollywood ending. Everyone is happy. Everyone got what they wanted. I guess it isn’t a feel good film if there is a sad ending. I just find perfection somewhat anti-climatic nowadays.
There was also a pro-gun theme in there somewhere. Let me just say this once in this blog (by once I mean lots of times): I hate guns. Yuck. But I guess a film set in a state which loves its rodeos, horse wrangling and hunting it was to be expected.
If you are bored then sure, see this film, why not! I rate it <<< 3 out of 5 >>>

They said:
If you love Mary Steenburgen then you should watch this film. If you hate Hugh Grant you should avoid this film. Our combined rating is 6 out of a possible 10.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, Helen, SPOILERS! ;) Kidding. Though these types of films tend to be my guilty pleasure, I'm glad to know I'm really not missing anything.

    ReplyDelete