Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Alice in Wonderland (Directed by Tim Burton)



Watched: March 7th 2010

Starring: Mia Wasikowska, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Stephen Fry, Crispin Glover, Anne Hathaway, Timothy Spall, Matt Lucas, Alan Rickman

IMDB link

She said:

This is one of 'those' films. The ones that you pre-book tickets and watch every possible trailer drooling over what promises to be a visual masterpiece. For me Alice in Wonderland lived up to expectations. It was just what I was expecting with Tim Burton's unique balance of the weird and wonderful with the dark and the magical.

The Burton-Depp-Bonham Carter have again provided a fantastic few hours of entertainment. Both Depp and Bonham Carter were both marvelous and it was as if the parts were written for them. But Tim Burton has a knack of manipulating any story to make them perfect for his dynamic duo. The casting of the supporting artists was also spot on from Stehpen Fry as the Cheshire cat to Matt Lucas as the Tweedles.

My favourite thing about the envisioning of these classic novels was the use of Carroll's wonderfully bizarre language. Burton did not hold back on challenging the audience with unusual speech and at times hard to understand dialogue - after all Wonderland is a place full of mad people! Matching this was the crazy costumes and make up which impressed me highly.

I look forward to watching this again. If you are a fan of Burton's goth-like magic world's or of the spirit of Carroll's novels and poetry (the Jabberwocky is one of my favourite poems) then watch this film. If you are after Disney... then er... go rent Disney. I give this <<<4.5 out of 5>>>

He said:
I agree 100% with what Helen said above. Honestly I would be remiss if I didn't mention that you won't be missing out on anything if you aren't one of the masses completely enthralled by the RealD 3D nonsense that every movie producing company has been trying to shove down our throats this year and I'm sure for at least the next few years to follow.

Tim Burtons Wonderland is beautiful and rich, and does not need the 3D embellishment. The added effect is amusing at best and at worst it is nothing more than distracting.

Certain 3D parts of the film, such as Alice falling down the rabbit hole, are completely chaos. The digital effects guys throw so much debris towards the audience and Burton films the scene so close up that everything blurs together in a mass of unintelligible imagery. I hope that other studios are taking note of this and realize that if they must make a 3D film, then it needs to be done during the shooting process and not done as an afterthought.

All of that aside I truly enjoyed this film. It's worth watching and like so many before it I will own it on DVD. I give it {{{{4.0 out of 5}}}}

They Said:
This film is definitely a must see, though maybe not in 3D save the extra money and splurge on another film this week. We both really enjoyed this film and give it [[[[8.5 out of 10]]]]

2 comments:

  1. I would very much like to see this film, however my major concern is the use of CGI. As much as I enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I was hugely disappointed by the artificial look of the film. I realise that these films are portraying magical worlds, not reality, but in my opinion magical worlds seem even more magical if they look believable. CGI seems to sit somewhat uncomfortably between traditional animation (where what is portrayed is clearly only a representation of reality, and therefore disbelief can be easily suspended), and pure live action. I am not sure if we are actually meant to 'believe' that CGI is reality, or if it is meant to look 'animated'. I have no doubt that AiW is a wonderful film, this is my one and only reservation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very CGI heavy but it fitted in with the quirky AiW world. It is unique and I can see that not everyone would like it. It is much better than Charlie though.

    ReplyDelete