Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Monday, March 22, 2010

I love you Phillip Morris (Directed by Requa/Ficarra)



Watched: 21st March
Starring: Jim Carrey, Ewan McGregor, Leslie Mann, Roderigo Santoro

IMDB link

She said:

This film was enjoyable but I have a few reservations. These reservations, I have to admit, generally have to do with it being at the wrong end of the Jim Carrey scale of acting. One end we have him in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, an amazing understated performance (so we know he is capable of it) and at the other end we have Ace Venture (... ergh).

This performance was slightly to the overact side of The Truman Show. And it really didn't need it. This is a film with the most over-the-top incredulous plot (made more unbelievable by the fact that it is a true story) about a gay con man and compulsive liar. It really didn't need the overacting on top of this. Carrey might want to take a leaf out of McGregor's book who showed that you can be camp without being cringe-worthy.

Essentially this is a love story - albeit an unconventional one - and I am a sucker for them. I found myself squeezing James' hand at the touching moments like a big sap. But these touching moments were few and far between, the directors much preferring to focus on the comedy. However the balance was an interesting mix.

I think people should give this film a go, especially if you aren't bothered as I am by the Jim Carrey overacting end of the scale. I give this film {{{3 out of 5}}}

He said:
This is one of those films that when you sit down in the theatre before the film begins you really have no idea what to expect. I agree with Helen that Carrey's overacting was unnecessary in this film, but at the same time, with very few exceptions I completely believed he was Steven Russell. Unfortunately the same can not be said from me about Ewan McGregor, I really felt for the majority of the film the McGregor was"Playing Gay" rather than actually being gay.

Over all the film was fun, and the similarities between it and another well known atypical Romance film (Brokeback Mountain) are few and far between. The story is well portrayed and has you constantly asking yourself how this crazy and at times hilarious story could be even remotely true.

I left this film amused and entertained and with the aforementioned gripes aside would definitely encourage others to go out and see this film. I give it {{{3.5 out of 5}}}

They said:

Shakespeare said that 'love is blind'. This is not your typical story - but you will fall in love with what Steven Russell (Carrey) and Phillip Morris (McGregor)... because some people will do literally anything to see the face of the person they love.

We give this {{{6.5 out of 10}}}

No comments:

Post a Comment