Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Monday, March 1, 2010

Valentine's Day (Directed by Garry Marshall)



Watched: 28th February
IMDB link

Starring: Jessica Biel, Patrick Dempsey, Jessica Alba, Ashton Kutcher, Julia Roberts, Topher Grace, Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Garner, Taylor Lautner, Taylor Swift, Eric Dane, Queen Latifah, Hector Elizondo, Shirley MacLaine, Kathy Bates, George Lopez, Bradley Cooper

He said:

I, like a lot of others went into this film expecting an American take on Love Actually. I honestly think that had any other director attempted this film that would have been exactly what we were given. Thankfully Garry Marshall is a brilliant and gifted director. This film is touching, has great humor and is genuinely sweet with out being saccharine or forced.

As I have said this is a heart warming film what seemed like an obvious and predictable film found little amazing ways to surprise you. Every type of relationship is explored in this film varying from Puppy Love, Old and Familiar, extra-marital, inter-racial, gay, friendship, familial, and school age crushes. If the relationship you are in isn't touched on in this film, I fear for your relationship.

I really enjoyed this film and with out reservation give it the coveted {{{{5 out of 5 rating}}}}

She Said:

As James mentioned this film appears to very much be a L.A. set Love Actually from the intertwining stories of love to the 'how many names can we fit on the bill' mentality. But I agree that it was more than this. While there are many similarities to Love Actually (sweet, funny and heartwarming with a good bit of moral) Valentine's Day manages to be its own film.

If I had to compare the film to another it would actually be Pretty Woman. Obviously Garry Marshall directed both and for I'm sure reasons such as 'it's Pretty Woman's 20th anniversary' and 'Pretty Woman is one of the best love stories of all time' this film had so many nods to it you could not count them on two hands. There were many actors in both films including Julia Roberts, the Hotel Manager and the 'suck up guy' from the shop. Also much of the dialogue particularly toward Roberts were lifted from the Pretty Woman script. A great outtake during the credits has Julia quoting 'BIG mistake. Big. Huge.' about shopping on Rodeo Drive. Movie lovers like James and I get a real kick out of this sort of thing.

The film was well paced and well structured. The intertwining plot was based around Ashton Kutcher's character, a florist (what could be more romantic on Valentine's Day than sending flowers) with the 'satellite' relationships connected in varying ways outwards from him. Always a danger with these types of films is that one storyline is too focused on or that actors are fighting for top billing but this was not the case. No one story or actor stole the show (although Anne Hathaway as a part time adult phone entertainer is sticking in my mind. Very funny). But every relationship was heartwarming or heartfelt in someway and you invested in pretty much every character from the outset.

I love romantic comedies and this one is definitely a new favourite. I highly recommend watching it. I can't wait to have this on DVD and get it out whenever there is rain clouds on the horizon and I need a pick-me-up. I give this film <<<4.5 out of 5>>>

They said:

We thoroughly enjoyed this film and it was great to see as a couple. I think whether you see this with your partner or with a group of friends everyone will leave with a smile. We give this film <<<9.5 out of 10>>>

2 comments:

  1. This may be really surprising to you, but I wasn't a fan of the film at all. I'll write more once I'm more sane. But I feel like they focused on the same couple of characters too much instead of utilizing their talent. Anne Hathaway was the redeeming part of this film for me. I didn't like the writing, and I feel as if Garry Marshall was making do with what he had.
    Also, even though you like it, I can't stand when movie references with different actors are made in films. I feel like it's a cheap trick for laughs(remember the Taylor Lautner joke? That was terrible).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to hear a different take. I can actually see how it isn't everyone's cup of tea. I think I might have missed the Taylor Lautner joke? Was it something about being a werewolf. That would be tacky.

    I think I really enjoyed the Pretty Woman references because we saw it on Valentine's Day for its 20th anniversay. So it was at the forefront of my head :P

    ReplyDelete