Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Monday, April 5, 2010

How to train your Dragon [3D] (Directed by Dean DeBlois & Chris Sanders)



IMDB PAGE

Starring:
Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse

She said:

I love a good animated film and Dreamworks has not disappointed with their latest release. This film is fun, fresh and cute. The script was witty and chuckle-aloud funny although no quotes stand out in my memory. That isn't a criticism by the way... I'm just noting it!

We have both criticized and praised different films for using 3D in this blog. This particular film I think used it well. It was not gimmicky but it did add an extra dimension (duh) that I welcomed. I loved the animation overall especially the design of the dragons. They were each very individual with obvious personalities. There was a good balance of scary and adorable... mainly adorable.

Apart from that I know it is rare but I don't have much to say about this film. It is neither terrible nor the best thing I have seen. I very much enjoyed it and would gladly watch it again! I'm sure this will become a family favourite. I give it {{{4 out of 5}}}

He said:
I really enjoyed this film. Dreamworks is pushing out highly anticipated animated films this year like they are going out of style. How to train your Dragon is the first of three (The other two being Shrek Forever After (in July) and Despicable me (Holiday season.) And I am pleased to say that they have set the bar high!

The basic story is easily obtained from the above trailer, and is standard material for Dreamworks' films. Hiccup is the like-able unlikely hero with a slightly unusual pet/friend. (spoiler!!! it is a DRAGON!) This is a fun film that is written beautifully. The voice acting is fantastic, while all the names night not ring a bell with you now, this is a dominantly young up and coming team of actors that you will be seeing a lot of in the coming years.

One of my favorite aspects of the animation of this film is the movements of the dragons. Despite being reptile in look and well nature, the mood and behavior is very similar to domestic felines. There are moments in a couple of scenes that reminded me of my own cat.

This is a fun film that the entire family can enjoy together and I am sure it will soon be a lot of children's favorites. (A lot of families are likely to bringing home plush replicas of the dragon Toothless during the Easter weekend.) I really enjoyed this film and give it {{{4 out of 5}}}

They said:

If you enjoy previous Dreamworks creations like the Shrek franchise, Kung fu Panda and Flushed Away this film will not disappoint. We give it [[[8 out of 10]]]

No comments:

Post a Comment