Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Tron: Legacy {3D}

Directed by: Joseph Kosinski
UK/US Release date: 17 December 2010
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Bruce Boxleitner, Olivia Wilde



IMDB Page

She said:

We were lucky enough to have seen the original 1982 Tron film just a few weeks before we saw Tron: Legacy giving us a good expectation of what to expect from this sequel. Like its predecessor Tron: Legacy is something completely fresh, original and exciting. In a nutshell, I loved it.

The thing that most impressed me is the faithfulness to the original 1982 look while still managing to make it cutting edge for 2010. The architecture and design of the computer world remained very similar while the look was updated (the movie posters are a good example of this):




I also enjoyed watching a 3D film that was actually worth the stress of trying to keep the annoying glasses on over my own. As you know He Said She Said are not big 3D fans but this one is a must. There is a not-to-be-missed 'Wizard of Oz' moment as the 2D human worlds turns into the 3D computer world.

Overall I expected quite a lot and I wasn't disappointed. I felt there were some parts in the middle - such as a computer world nightclub - that seemed to deviate a bit from the core story but were still enjoyable. Similarly I felt the original film had a stronger sense of the world being an actual computer system with specific programs... but then I guess computers were a bit simpler 30 years ago.

I give this film {{{4 out of 5}}}

He said:
Let me be completely honest from the word go this is not a film you go to see for its intricate plot devices, this is a film that promises and delivers eye candy and that is the reason I was excited to see it in the first place.

The general idea behind this franchise is brilliant and I enjoyed this film from start to finish. My only real complaint is with the CGI Jeff Bridges that looks amazing and life like as long as he isn't speaking. The character of CLU scratched that part of my brain that struggles with suspension of disbelief and never let it relax.

To be honest if the entire world hadn't been completely over saturated with the media presence and anticipation behind this film I really think it would have gotten as many negative reviews. It is not a groundbreaking state of the art film like its predecessor but it is with out a doubt a breathtaking adventure.

This is a fun film that is more than worth the price of admission and I have yet to speak to anyone that has seen the film that hasn't enjoyed it. I give this film {{{4.5 out of 5}}}

They said:
A family friendly film that should be seen on the big screen before you own it on DVD or BluRay. We give this film [[[8.5 out of 10]]]

QUESTION FOR THE COMMENTS: HAVE YOU SEEN THE ORIGINAL TRON?

3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the original Tron, but I think Nikki has. Would you all say that it is a must for someone watching Tron: Legacy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need to have seen the original Tron to see and enjoy this one. There are subtleties that you will appreciate more having seen the original film, but you don't lose anything by coming to Legacy afresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw this yesterday. Loved it, though I disagree with many points here. For instance, it was more than eye candy. Sure, it largely followed an often-used type of plot, but...most movies DO. It's just a question of if they do it well, and I believe Tron did. I also enjoyed the inclusion of Zeus/whateverhisothernamewas, who wasn't really on anybody's side but his own.

    As for it not being groundbreaking, I disagree again. While the CGI involved in de-aging the older actors wasn't absolutely PERFECT, it was damned close. Closer than anything we've seen in emulating human faces. Especially when you consider that they were trying to significantly de-age an existing actor to look like he did in his heydey. Similar tech has been used, for different reasons, but I think this was leaps and bounds ahead of what we've seen in the past. And using it within a combined live-action-and-computer-generated world made it all the more convincing.

    ReplyDelete