Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Monday, February 7, 2011

The Mechanic

Directed by: Simon West
Released: Worldwide January 28th 2011
Starring: Jason Statham, Ben Foster, Donald Sutherland


IMDB Link

He said:

I should say from the start that I practically had to drag Helen to see this film, to say that it wasn't anywhere to be found on her must see list is an understatement. In her defense this film was as flawed and cliched as the trailer promised. Which is exactly why I enjoyed it, once in a while I really just want to see a craptastic film.

The Mechanic from it's opening scene right up until the fade to credits did everything in it's power to fulfill that wish. Every man's man action film cliche was checked like the naughty list the night before the fat man climbs up onto his sleigh. Including but not limited to an absent father figure, scantily clad women paid for services rendered, chase scenes, explosions and "unlikely but blatantly obvious" escapes.

I feel that I would be doing our readers a great injustice if I told you this film was anything more than it was which is simply: good for a laugh. You are going to be hard pressed to ever find Jason Statham headlining a film with any chance of Academy recognition, he doesn't make those types of films. The man makes mindless guilty pleasure action films wrapped in as many explosions as possible. I give this film {{{2.5 out of 5}}}

She said:

I am going to be honest: when I saw this film I thought it looked like a load of parp and definitely not worth wasting a review on. However as James said, he was keen to see it and so, with an open mind I went along to see what The Mechanic is all about. And guess what? It was parp.

The thing that bothers me about action films like The Mechanic is that there is no reason for them to be so awful. The Mechanic had bad acting, absolutely terrible script writing and a plot that seemed to be held together with 3 year old Blu-tac (you know, when it has gone all hard and not sticky anymore).
There are so many actions films out there that are great fun to watch for men and women alike though so I just kept thinking: why?!

By the way I am not even going to bother talking about the portrayal of women in this film. I am sure you can imagine. This film was good for a laugh but not enough to give it any more than a mediocre {{{1.5 out of 5}}}

They said: Not a film that will be to everyone's taste and certainly not one that will be winning any awards but then... we weren't expecting much more really! We give this film {{{4 out of 10}}}

Question of the Blog: What film genre is your guilty pleasure?

No comments:

Post a Comment