Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Double Feature: British Icons

Both films watched Jan 5th

Nowhere Boy (Directed by Sam Taylor Wood)

Starring Aaron Johnson, Thomas Sangster, Kristin Scott-Thomas & Anne Marie Duff





He said:
This is a movie that had I been back home in the states I probably wouldn't have come across it unless I was wandering through a video rental store six months from now. I honestly feel it is a wonderful film. It wasn't exactly the film I expected upon sitting down in the theatre before the film, as I was expecting the majority of the film to take place during the well known fame of the Beatles. Honestly I think that is what is so great about this film. It isn't about how four boys became Rock & Roll legends, it's about how one of those four boys became a man.
The only reference to the Beatles is shown at the end of the tailer above, and it is truly perfect. Three things that really stood out to me were, A: The Fantastic Music, (Buddy Holly, Elvis and Gene Vincent to name a few) And how these Rock & Roll pioneers influenced the young John for the rest of his life. and B: The Costumes, there is one scene in particular where just what the actors are wearing says so much about who they are to each other. C: The Acting High marks to both Johnson and Sangster. Sangster's portrayal of the young Paul McCartney was almost eerily directly spot on.
I will say if you take nothing else from this movie go out and find the soundtrack. I really enjoyed this film and would recommend it to anyone who is a young Lennon fan. I give it {{{{ 4 out of 5 stars}}}}

She said:
The best word to describe this film is intriguing. It wasn't a thrill ride or a laugh a second comedy. It was an honest film based on the true story of Lennon’s pre-Beatles life. Like a lot of people I love The Beatles, so it was really fascinating to be able to glimpse into the mind of a master of music: John Lennon.
Despite never mentioning The Beatles I felt like I was having a lot of songs explained to me. I could see lyrics in a different way than I did before. You might not be alone in thinking a lot of Lennon songs are gibberish *cough*Iamtheapeman*cough* but suddenly I came out of the screen having a new found appreciation for this superficially noted nonsense.
For example the film shows how Lennon feels lost and unsure where he belongs, and his struggle to come to terms with this through his teenage years. Immediately Nowhere Man, from which the film takes its title, reaches a new depth in my mind: He's a real nowhere man, sitting in his nowhere land, making all his nowhere plans for nobody. Doesn't have a point of view, knows not where he's going to, isn't he a bit like you and me? nowhere man please listen, you don't know what you're missing. Nowhere man the world is at your command!
If you want to see a biopic about sixties freedom and the early days of The Beatles then this isn’t for you. If you want to see a film that reaches into the mind of a late, great British icon during the rock and roll era then this is for you. I give it <<< 4 out of 5 stars >>>

They Said:
Together we both enjoyed this film, are combined ratings give it ((((8 out of 10}}}} stars. Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Sherlock Holmes (Directed by Guy Ritchie)
Starring Robert Downey Jr. Jude Law, Rachel McAdams & Mark Strong



He said:
This is the first review that we have written where our takes were radically different. I enjoyed this film as I would another action film, the fact that it was based on a character that I had always pictured as more bookish than athletic made it slightly more interesting. This is in no way an OSCAR award winning film. The exposition is well thought out and if you are paying attention you can follow along with his attention to detail. It is a fun and light film. If you are hesitant at all wait for it to be released on DVD. I give it {{{{3 out of 5 Stars}}}}


She said:
I have to admit that I went into Sherlock Holmes with a sceptical mind: a Hollywood movie about a classic British literary icon? Hmm. However I kept an open mind, as I always do. I have to admit though that the verdict was not great.
There were a few things about the film overall that bothered me. The music, for example, became irritating. It started directing the audience instead of marrying with the on-screen text. When it started I enjoyed it, but as it went on the music was too obvious – as if telling the audience “this conversation is humorous. You should laugh now.”
I would also have liked to see more about the villain Blackwood who became merely a shadow against the indulgent Holmes/Watson character scenes. However, I don’t want to criticise the film too much on the account that I can see how some people would like it – it just wasn’t for me. I did enjoy the exposition sequences; seeing Holmes being a detective not an annoying joker.
If you want to see a classic interpretation of Arthur Conon Doyle’s most famous work then avoid this film. If you want to see a Hollywood take on a British icon then give it a go. I give it <<< 2 out of 5 stars >>>

They said:
Overall this movie isn't for everyone but it isn't the worst movie out at the moment either...*cough*squeakel*cough* A combined rating of {{{5 out of 10 stars))))

No comments:

Post a Comment