Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Monday, April 26, 2010

Cemetery Junction (Directed by Gervais/Merchant)



IMDB page

Starring: Christian Cooke, Tom Hughes, Jack Doolan, Felicity Jones, Ralph Fiennes, Emily Watson, Matthew Goode, Ricky Gervais

He said:
I am always pleasantly surprised when I like a truly British film, I don't know if it is the arrogant American attitude, or that my prior experience to British film was limited to bigger hits, HOT FUZZ, Shaun of The Dead, and Saving Grace, to name a few.

I hope that this film does well on the other side of the pond as it has a lot of themes that I think would translate well to the American Collegiate demographic. Helen will give you the majority of the themes below, but really I think this film handles a handful of cliches really well, with out ever feeling heavy handed or morally superior.

I really enjoyed this film and would definitely recommend you watch it at your first opportunity. I give it [[[4 out of 5]]]


She said:

The trailer shows that this is a British film written and directed by Ricky Gervias and Stephen Merchant, set in the seventies, about disillusioned youths and has All the Young Dudes by David Bowie in the background. It was aimed at people such as myself and I was drawn in hook, line and sinker. This film did not disappoint.

It was refreshing to see something new and different from the amazing Gervias/Merchant duo: something cool rather than awkward and heartwarming rather than cringeworthy. The film is essentially a 'coming of age' film or a 'journey of self discovery' or another similarly cliched phrase. But the film itself isn't cliched. It is funny, charming and my old favourite, thought provoking.

The three main characters made a good spectrum of youth - one trying to be the 'cool guy', one being the 'obligatory loser' and the other trying to be something different! Without giving anything away this film is about realising that what you thought you want out of life, and what you are doing with it isn't necessarily what your heart is truly telling you. Hence the journey of enlightenment crap I mentioned earlier. I give this film {{{4 out of 5}}}

They said:
This isn't your typical laugh riot Gervias/Merchant film, but it has a great heart and will leave you with a solid smile and good feeling as the credits roll. We strongly recommend this film to everyone and proudly give it {{{8 out of 10}}}

No comments:

Post a Comment