Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Lost Boys (Directed by Joel Schumacher)



IMDB page

Starring: Kiefer Sutherland, Corey Haim, Corey Feldman, Jason Patric, Dianne Wiest

He said
This film has lost so much of what made it great. As Helen mentions below it feels very dated. The funny thing about this film is all of the huge names behind the camera, Richard Donner (Of the Superman films) and Joel Shumacher (Pirates of the Caribbean and countless others) This film was one of Shumacher's first as a director and it seems to have served him well.

Unlike Helen, I did watch this film as young impressionable child, I remember it being a lot scarier and a lot darker. The sequel (which we will review in an upcoming post) has a lot darker tone and promises to be more inline with what I remember in a modern realization.

A fun side note there was originally to be an earlier sequel titled the Lost Girls where it was revealed that David (Kiefer Sutherland) survived the final battle. (In the film he is staked by a pair of antlers and doesnt explode as the others of his brood.)

Dated or not this is still a campy fun film and great for a night when nothing is on tv, I give this film [[[3.5 out of 5]]]


She said:

As a 23 year old you may find it shocking for me to say that I had never seen this film before. And I think I unfortunately missed out on it a bit! It was okay but it really didn't blow me away as I expected. The reason? It was SO dated.

The Lost Boys didn't keep my attention in the way I thought it would. I think that it was a bit slow for a modern audience and I really couldn't work out if the acting and cinematography was deliberately cheesy or not. With other dated films, such as The Goonies, there is a deliberate attempt to make it light and a bit cheesy. But this was trying to be dark and scary... and I didn't quite get it.

Saying all this it was still enjoyable and I can see the lure that it has over people. It dealt with vampires before Bram Stoker's Dracula, before Buffy and definately before Twilight so was at the beginning of the modern media obsession (I say modern because of course vampires have been an obsession for hundreds of years).

I am glad I saw this film, I just wish I could go back in time and watch at a sleepover when I was 10. I feel like I would have got more out of it. I give this film a respectable {{{3.5 out of 5}}}

They said:
This is a film full of camp and what once passed as terror, its worth a viewing and we both agree you wouldn't be disappointed. we give it {{{7 out of 10}}}

No comments:

Post a Comment