Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Kinky Boots (Directed by Julian Jarrold)



IMDB PAGE

Starring: Joel Edgerton, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Sarah-Jane Potts, Nick Frost, Jemima Rooper

She said:

I love this film. If you have watched the trailer then you may be a bit unsure of likelihood of this combination: a northern factory enlists the help of a drag queen and starts making sexy boots for men... who are actually women. It does sound funny, and slightly preposterous but guess what - it is a true story!

I love this film because it has a great balance between drama and comedy. It also deals with the much debated but rarely resolved question of 'what makes a man'. There are three main characters that contribute to this debate: Charlie, the factory owner, Lola the drag queen, and Don a factory worker. Together they create a spectrum of masculinity.

Don is very much the 'mans man' who is hostile to Lola when she arrive. Lola is on the other end, a 'woman's man' if you like. Lola, aka Simon, isn't gay - he has recognised the things women want from men and has become them (sensitive, caring, etc). Charlie is the inbetween. He isn't quite sure where he lies in the spectrum and with his relationship breaking down he struggles with this.

I have rambled on enough but overall this film is a quirky, hearfelt British film that will have you laughing along. I recommend you watch it now! I give it {{{4 out of 5}}}

He said:
I found Kinky Boots a pleasantly surprising film. I really wasn't sure what to expect when I sat down to watch it. I think at first glance I expected it to be campy similar to Hedwig & The Angry Inch and at moments it does have that feel, though never losing it's grip on the reality of the story.

Over all this is a film about perception, as a man and of ones self. I feel of all the characters that we got to know the one we understand the least was Charlie. His fiancé has an off screen affair which he discovers and never really reacts to, and at the climax of the film it seems his motivations for his actions have nothing to do with penance and seem to be more about covering his own ass.

It is a fantastic film and definetly worth watching but I would have liked to see a little more devolpment with Charlie's character. I did enjoy this film and would recommend it with out reservation. I give it {{{{3.5 out of 5}}}}

They said:

If you like heartfelt comedy dramas and er... men in drag doing show numbers, then this is the film for you! We give this {{{7.5 out of 10}}}

1 comment:

  1. If shoes are your thing, just watch it for the boots!

    ReplyDelete