Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Nightmare on Elm Street (Directed by Samuel Bayer)


IMDB LINK
Starring: Jackie Earle Haley, Kyle Gallner, Rooney Mara, Katie Cassidy, Thomas Dekker

She said:

It has been over 20 years since the original Freddy Kruger horror and it was only a matter of time before it was brought up to date. This remake was well done with a distinctly creeper murderer and some not-quite-so-obnoxious-you-are-glad-they-are-dead-but-verging-on-it-teenagers.

Overall I found this quite enjoyable but I have to admit that it didn't strike fear into my heart. Perhaps I am a bit too old to be scared by slasher flicks. I am much more inclined towards psychological thrillers which make you think. Freddy Kruger is more of a creepy man whose power over the audience ends when the final frame disappears.

Perhaps I can't remember the original very well (or maybe as a child I didn't understand it) but I found the child-abuse aspect much more emphasised in this remade version. Unfortunately the teenagers reactions weren't very convincing. I personally would be a bit more distressed and psychologically damaged when finding out I had been abused by a gardener at my old school. But maybe that's just me?

It wasn't terrible but if you aren't fussed about horrors then you can definately wait for DVD. I give this {{{3 out of 5}}}

He said:
With so many reboots hitting theaters in recent years it comes as no surprise the Freddy Kruger would be getting a face lift. This film is a fairly faithful remake of the 1986 original going as far as having similar nightmares. (though gone was the animated 2d nightmare that resembled A-ha's music video Take on me much to my chagrin.)

My real problem with me is that these type of films just don't scare me. I find that given the life I have lived that fantasy like this is just that. There are jump moments in this film and if your date is one of those edge of his or her seat types you might find you'll leave the theatre either covered in their popcorn, or possible with a bruise resembling their grip on your forearm.

All things being fair and equal it was a fun film and was faithful to the original and is worth watching I give this film a well deserved [[[3.5 out 5]]]

They said:

This is a good homage to the 1986 Nightmare on Elm Street and worth a watch... but don't rush out to the cinema right this second. We give this film {{{6.5 out of 10}}}

No comments:

Post a Comment