Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Robin Hood (Directed by Ridley Scott)



IMDB LINK
Starring: Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Max von Sydow, William Hurt, Mark Strong

He Said:
This is not a film you can go into with preconceptions. The common comparison between The Gladiator and Robin Hood is fair but not significant. (As both were directed by Ridley Scott and both starred Russel Crowe.) This film is really more of a prequel to the story of Robin Hood more than it is a story about the fabled outlaw/hero. It is a very realistic look into a fantastic fable.

A lot of critics have mentioned that Australian born Crowe took a tour of the British Isles with his accent, but to be fair his accent never distracted me from his story. I enjoyed this film I feel that it is worth watching, and I think most film goers will leave the theatre feeling their hard earned money was well spent.

One of the highest praises I have for this film is that Ridley Scott refrained from using CGI for his battle scenes and actually cast 1,000 extras for the intense battle scenes. Having a thousand people all doing what you want and managing to get the footage you want is a true talent and one that in this Computer generated 3D hype of today is sorely missing.

The only real complaint I have of this film i that for a hero that is known for his Archery skills Robin was a little too friendly with his sword. A long the same lines, I did not see one arrow split during this film, though I have to wonder if I had would I have assumed it to be a Robing Hood cop out? I half expected to see a notice at the end of the film reading "No arrows were harmed in the making of this film."

Minor complaints aside this is a well executed film and one that you will not regret watching. I enjoyed this Robin before he was the Hood tale, and I give it [[[4 out of 5]]]

She Said:

I really enjoyed this film, although there wasn't much doubt that I would; it is a film based on classic legend that never fails to disappoint. Everyone knows the story of Robin Hood through some interpretation or other whether it be Prince of Thieves or Disney's crack at it.

Although I don't think this film eclipses the success of Prince of Thieves (i.e. that one with Kevin Costner not doing a British accent) it does give the audience something a bit different from the legend. This film is much more of a prequel to the 'outlaw that takes from the rich and gives to the poor' tale, telling you how we got to that point.

This film is also placed into a wider context of the history of the time namely the vulnerability of England during King Richard's decade long crusade and the country's relationship to France. I found it quite interesting to see the classic tale from a different angle.

Unlike Costner in Prince of Thieves Russell Crowe did attempt the Nottingham accent. Like James said he does take a tour of the British Isles (and pops down under for a visit) and it begs the question: why not a British accent? But this is a minor grievance to bear and overall I have no real complaints about the film.

I wouldn't be surprised if this film was followed up with a sequel and the more widely known tales of the famous man. I give this film {{{4 out of 5}}}

They Said:

A well executed film with a twist on the legend of Robin Hood. We give this film {{{8 out of 10}}}

No comments:

Post a Comment