Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (Directed by Mike Newell)



IMDB LINK
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Gemma Arterton, Ben Kingsley, Alfred Molina

He said:
I have to say of all the failed video game to film adaptions that I have seen (see Super Mario Brothers, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat films) This film really held up well, as Helen says below it is fairly predictable at times, and it seems like the costumes department did everything they could to put Gemma Arterton in to to skimpy.

The action scenes in this film are top notch, the parkour (or free running if you prefer) was fantastic. This film has an excellent energy and spot on energy. Definitely worth watching and a fun blockbuster of a film. I give this [[[4 out of 5]]]

She said:

I wasn't convinced I was going to like this film but in actual fact I had a lot of fun watching it. I think I was a little skeptical because it was so big, so blockbuster-y, and so commercial. But then, as I sat down in the cinema, I remembered... what the hell is wrong with that? I love big obscenely over-budgeted action flicks. It is what Hollywood is all about! So when I had this brain nudge I just sat back and took in the film and, as I said, I really quite liked it.

Jake Gyllenhaal and Gemma Arterton had a great chemistry although I feel the script writers forced it a little in places. They were both funny and heroic and reminded me of the Fraser/Weisz pairing in the Mummy i.e. underestimated beautiful woman and a rough and tumble action man. It is a classic combination for a reason I guess! I was hoping they wouldn't use every possible opportunity to put Gemma Arterton in a skimpy outfit though... I guess they couldn't resist.

I have no knowledge of the game that this film was adapted from so I can't comment on the accuracy of it. But I believe that the story in the game held up well as an action-adventure film. It is the type of film that, if I didn't know it was based on a game I would say 'they could make a great video game of this'.

Overall this film is a great family flick with a good amount of action and humour. It teeters on the line of predictability in its mode of storytelling sometimes but it is a forgivable sin. Not the best film you'll see this year but I'd still recommend it. I give this film 3 out of 5.

They said:
This is a great summer film and worth watching, if you are looking for a big action blockbuster and you already have seen Iron Man 2 than you should check out this film. We give this film {{{7 out of 10}}}

No comments:

Post a Comment