Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Friday, June 4, 2010

The Hangover (directed by Todd Phillips)



IMDB page

Starring: Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms, Justin Bartha , Bradley Cooper, Heather Graham

She said:

It has to be said that I am not the biggest fan of these kind of slapstick comedies. I find the humour immature and, while I understand that is the whole point, I just don't find it that funny. I spent most of the film not hating it and not loving it but rather finding it mildly amusing. I didn't laugh out loud for at least 20 minutes though so my expectations were pretty low from the get go. However it redeemed itself in some places and overall this film is - in my expert film reviewers opinion - 'alright'.

As I was watching I was think about what my rating would be for this film. I have to admit there were scenes or events that had me as low as 2 and some that had me as high as a 3.5. The best part for me was when they parodied Rain Man. There is a moment where they come down the escalator, one character as Tom Cruise and one as Dustin Hoffman, with Iko Iko playing over the top. It is these kind of moments that we film buffs love. Little homages and nods to other films where you the viewer can feel privileged that you 'get it'.

The lowest point... I have to say there were several so it is hard to choose. There was a scene with a woman breastfeeding - always going to be a cheap gag. Congratulations script writers... you made a boob joke! Well done you! These are the moments which make me not like this style of comedy. Jokes about breasts and tazering each other just can't stand up to intelligent or ironic humour.

In terms of characters they were pretty much what I expected them to be. All of the main characters are, of course, complete idiots but Alan's idiocy is much more offbeat making him stand out to me. But the filmmakers played on too many stereotypes and I spent a lot of time willing them to go somewhere different from the cliche they were leading up to.

Overall this really wasn't a bad film despite some of my harsh comment. But I am not going to rave about a film that a bunch of twelve year old boys who spend their time looking at Playboys and discussing who has the best knockers. I give this film 3 out of 5.

He said:
I have to start this review stating that I saw this film when it was first released in the states with my brother and we both really enjoyed it. I haven't seen it since that first time, but I did enjoy it.

I agree with what Helen has said above, it is cliche and typical guy humor, but I think that reason alone is one of the reasons we went to see it. I really enjoy these type of comedies. They could be done better and they could easily be more intelligent but I think their imaturity and need to go for the easy "boob" jokes is part of their charm.

There are a lot of films that set out to be a certain type of film, be it comedy, Drama, Sci-fi or a hybrid of some type, and completely miss the mark. This is really not one of those types of films it fulfils the promise it makes with the trailer. You will laugh, you will enjoy the film and it wont be the worst film you see this year.

Obviously I enjoy films like this and it is for that reason that I am a little more lax when they play it safe with the easy cliched types of comedy that we see in a lot of current films. [[[I give this film 4 out of 5]]]

They said:
This isn't a family friendly comedy. It is adult humor with a less than adult situation. Over all it is worth watching {{{{we give it 7 out of 10}}}}

No comments:

Post a Comment