Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Made in Dagenham

Directed by: Nigel Cole
UK Release: 1 October 2010
US Release: 19 November 2010
Starring: Sally Hawkins, Bob Hoskins, Andrea Riseborough, Jaime Winstone, Rosamund Pike



IMDB Page

She said:

I love films that are based on true stories because you can feel them more in your heart. And with a film such as Made in Dagenham you can't help but do a little punch in the air when you see the bigoted men lose some of their power.

This film isn't a feminist film as such; it is simply the story of a group of Ford factory workers who decide enough is enough, and who fight for equal pay for women. It is about fighting for what is right and for not taking your situation for granted.

There is great bit where the lead tells her husband that 'not knocking her around' shouldn't get him extra brownie points because that is as it should be. Unfortunately men still use this kind of trick today and of course women still get paid less than men... but it is still a great film!

The acting is fantastic in this film and though I suspect the Oscars will probably overlook this British flick I am positive it will bag a BAFTA or two come awards season. I give this film {{{4 out of 5}}}

He said:
I really didn't know anything about this film and had already slotted it in my head as an "it's free so why not" film before I had even found my seat in the theatre. I find I do this with a lot of lesser known films and I am frequently blown away by how many of them completely change my opinion. I am happy to say that this was a truly wonderful and worthwhile cinema experience.

Like most people the factory workers of my grandparents generation are hardly people I give much thought to, but every once in a while a film like this is released and show a side of history I was completely ignorant of before the opening credits. This one little factory in Dagenham is a huge part of not just British history, but the history of equality.

This is a fantastic film, and though I think most of our American readers wont see it grace their theatres for a number of months I would definitely suggest everyone check it out. I give this film {{{4 out of 5}}}

They said:
This is an excellent peek into the history of equality and we suggest that you add it to your LoveFIlm/NetFlix as soon as it is available at the very least. we give it [[[8 out of 10]]]

QUESTION OF THE DAY: Is there a moment in history you would like to see translated into film?

No comments:

Post a Comment