Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Friday, November 26, 2010

RED

Directed by: Robert Schwentke
U.K. Release: 22 October 2010
U.S. Release: 15 October 2010
Starring: Morgan Freeman, Bruce Willis, John Malkovich, Mary Louise Parker, Helen Mirren, Karl Urban



IMDB Page

She said:

If you are one of those people who finds it tough to suspend their disbelief then this might be a film to avoid (but then again you should probably avoid all action films all together!). This film is topped to the brim with dangerous exploits and, while I may have some reservations, I haven't seen a good ol' "how many rounds can we get through in one scene" action film in some time so for me - this was quite a fun one.

My only real issue with RED was that the cast and crew clearly got carried away with the theme of old age pensioners jaunting off with machine guns on one more quest before biting the bullet (well... one more quest until the sequel of course). I have a sense of humour and I understand the comedy in seeing Helen Mirren talking about being a CIA assassin but I think they went overboard. It is a clear joke that didn't need to be flashed in our eyes with big ol' neon lights.

The film had a fantastic mix of actors. I wasn't convinced that Bruce Willis and Mary Louise Parker could pull of a romantic relationship but I actually think I was wrong! Karl Urban was fantastic as the current CIA agent trying to stop the oldies in their tracks. I would be surprised if he wasn't back in a sequel.

Before I give my score I have to admit my personal revulsion to guns is probably skewing it quite a bit because overall I did enjoy this film and would probably watch it again. I give it {{{2.5 out of 5}}}

He said:
Every now and again it does this film goers soul good to sit down and enjoy a completely nonsensical film. RED fits that bill to the T. Much like this summer's 80's Action hero throw back-Expendables there are a ton of familiar faces that quite often steal rather than share the limelight as they do here.

The cast all shared a chemistry and embraced the ridiculousness that was the plot of this graphic novel adaptation. This is a fun film that you would be hard pressed to not at least chuckle at the complete absurdity of a bunch of senior citizens with a License to Kill and the firepower required to do just that.

Karl Urban (2009's Star Trek's Bones Macoy) and Mary Louise Parker (best known for her role as Nancy Botwin on Showtime's Weeds) both do a fantastic job taking the baton from the previous generations headliners. I really enjoyed this film I give it [[[4 out of 5]]]


They said: Obviously there is a lot of foul language and a sizable helping of gun violence that not all families want to expose their children to; but over all this is a fun film and worth renting at the very least. We give it {{{6.5 out of 10}}}

QUESTION FOR THE COMMENTS: SO TELL US REALLY... HAVE YOU EVER FANTASIZED ABOUT BEING A SECRET AGENT?

No comments:

Post a Comment