Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Monday, December 6, 2010

Unstoppable

Directed by: Tony Scott
UK release: 24 Nov 2010
US release: 12 Nov 2010
Starring: Denzel Washington, Chris Pine, Rosario Dawson, Ethan Suplee, Kevin Dunn



IMDB Page

He said:

I have been waiting for this film for nearly six months. I have to admit the first time I saw the trailer I rolled my eyes at the plot, but Denzel Washington and Tony Scott are a fantastic team and if you forgive the pun have a decent 'track' record. Denzel has proven here with out a doubt that he still has what it takes to headline an action film.

Tony Scott is truly gifted at making a tense and edge of your seat thriller. The overall concept of the film could have very easily been dull in less skilled hands. If you have reservations about this film you can set them aside this is an action packed well paced thrill ride from start to finish.

Chris Pine does an excellent job slipping into the Will Coulson character, and vanishes in the role. I read a few articles on different review sites that mentioned more than once that they weren't convinced that Pine could stand alongside Washington or portray anyone other than the new and improved James T. Kirk, rest assured this is an actor with talent in spades.

I always enjoy films like these for the simple reason that they are a bit ridiculous. This is a fun film that takes you along for the ride and re-introduces you to the edge of your seat. There are far to few films that are this fun from the word go. I gave this film {{{4.5 out of 5}}}

She said:

Sometimes when you go to the cinema you don't want something which is too patronising but then again you don't want to think to much and you are just in a wishy-washy mood. Face it - it happens. I feel that films like Unstoppable come into their own. It is a great skill to find that balance in Hollywood with just a few too many violins edging you into a crying wreck or too many jump cuts blurring up your head. Without wanting to sound like a stereotypical reviewer; this film has suspense, action, drama and emotion all rolled into one thrill ride.

Unlike James I had not heard of this film until I saw the poster in the cinema - in fact I never even saw the trailer - so I had no preconceptions apart from the fact that the title and tagline made me think of Speed. Much like Speed this film kept me on the edge of my seat but in a very different way. Unstoppable didn't feel the need to throw in massive set pieces and ridiculous effects willy-nilly, rather it kept people's attention by building the relationships between the characters first and then picked up speed in a non-rushed, steady way (much like a train as it pulls out of the station).

Denzel Washington and Chris Pine are both great actors. They reflect the seriousness of the event but also add a lighter side into their relationship. I was also very impressed by Rosario Dawson, who played the manager of the train depot, and the way she came into her own in an almost David and Goliath battle against top bod Kevin Dunn.

I really recommend this film and urge you to go and see it. I give this film {{{4 out of 5}}}

They said:

Based on a true story this well-paced story of a runaway train will keep you glued until the last frame. We are positive this is a crowd-pleaser and caters to most tastes. We give it {{{8.5 out of 10}}}.

Question for the comments: Do you have a favorite Denzel Washington film?

1 comment:

  1. I had not pland on seeing this move but the trailer and your review changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete