Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Buried

Directed by: Rodrigo Cortés
UK Release: 29 Sept 2010
US Release: 24 Sept 2010
Starring: Ryan Reynolds



IMDB page

He said:

I have been looking forward to this film for nearly a year. I am not sure when I first saw the teaser, but I know that the moment I did that I was excited for this very different take on a one room thriller.

The trailer attached to this review was the first teaser and honestly I think a genius viral marketing campaign. The more common second official trailer gives more idea of the entire story but has scenes that are completely made for the trailer alone, and are not in the film at all.

This is an expertly crafted film, that some how even includes an action sequence. Cortés and Reynolds pull off something that screams for Oscar and BAFTA nominations. There are a lot of Reynolds naysayers in the general public that cite his usual roles as 'general' and 'throw away' comedy. However one thing this film has proven is that he has much more talent than he has ever shown to the general public.

The only film I can rightfully compare Buried to is Castaway, much like Tom Hanks, Reynolds carries this entire film on his back alone, his only real co-star being a Blackberry with ridiculous reception and very poor battery life. I'm just really happy he didn't name it.

This is a film that you will hear a lot of people talk about and I would bet even money will be re-released closer to the Awards season. Buried is a fantastic way to spend 94 minutes, and invites its audience to think outside the box. See what I did there? I give this film {{{4.5 out of 5}}}

She said:

Unlike James I had not heard of this film until two of my friend (Kim and Ross) recommended it to me. I have to admit that I was reluctant at first for two reasons: 1) I am one of those Ryan Reynolds naysayers who saw Van Wilder Party Liaison and just ran away from him screaming and 2) I though it was going to be another Open Water (by which I mean a waste of a few hours of my life).

Due to my aprehension about Buried it was pure intrigue that took me to see this film. A whole movie set in a coffin? Sounds fascinating and by golly it is.

Ryan Reynolds delivers a fantastic performance which, along with Cortes' expert filmmaking, holds the audience's attention throughout the film. Unlike Open Water this film maintains pace and tension without ever leaving the coffin setting.

I would advise against this film if you suffer from intense claustrophobia because it probably isn't the film for you. However it really is an intriguing achievement in filmmaking and I highly recommend it. I give this film {{{4.5 out of 5}}}

They Said:

This is a film that will be going straight onto those 'films to see before you die' lists. It will grab your attention from the artistic opening credits through to the last frame. We give this film [[[9 out of 10]]]

Question of the week:
What would you do if you woke to find yourself in a coffin six feet under ground?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! This originally didn't sound like the type of film I'd want to see, but your review makes me curious.

    And if I woke up in a coffin six feet under ground, well, what could I do? Wait to starve to death? I don't know. The thought is scary, really.

    ReplyDelete