Film reviews and movie news

WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW WEBSITE!

YOU CAN FIND OUR REVIEWS, QUIZES, VIDEOS AND MORE OVER AT HESAIDSHESAIDFM.COM

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Devil

Directed by: John Erick Dowdle
Story by M. Knight Shyamalan
UK / US Release: 17 Sept 2010
Starring: Chris Messina, Logan Marshall-Green, Jenny O'Hara, Bojana Novakovic, Bokeem Woodbine, Geoffrey Arend, Jacob Vargas, Matt Craven, Joshua Peace



IMDB page

She said:

Devil is not the type of film I choose to see on a regular basis. Although I enjoy psychological thrillers and suspense horror I have become a bit disillusioned with the amount of them that Hollywood has spewed out recently. However I gave it a go and, if I am being honest, I am still disillusioned.

Devil is not a bad film per se, it just isn't really the sort of movie you can have a strong opinion about. Although there are a good number of 'jump' moments I was never actually scared. Once the 'jump' was over I went back to being slightly indifferent about the story.

It is very hard for horror/thriller films to not fall into the bucket load of cliches media savvy movie-goers know so well - a little too hard for Devil apparently. Indeed overall this film was interesting to watch but it was just too predictable and ordinary.

I want a horror film to put me on edge and give me something to think about long after the final frame disappears. Unfortunately this film did neither of those things. I give Devil {{{2 out of 5}}}

He said:
Much like Helen, I too have lost what ever prior sense of fear that Hollywood was at one time able to conjure in me. I could ramble on about how much the original (I say original because much like every other film from my childhood it is currently being remade) Child's Play film scared the living daylights out of me at as a 9 year old boy at 2 in the morning during a friends birthday sleepover. Those fictional stories of fantasy and horror have long since become far less frightening in light of how scary reality can be every day.

Devil is really not a bad film and there are even a couple of the standard twists that story writer M. Knight has become known by. Devil is the first in a planned collection loosely named the Night Chronicles. According to the official website "The Night Chronicles is a production entity with Media Rights Capital, focused on generating a series of supernatural thrillers. The films are based on original ideas from M. Night Shyamalan" loosely translated the perpetually downward spiraling writer and director has out sourced his content to other directors.

If you are a fan of overly predictable "Horror/Thrillers" this film is right up your alley, thought with it being October there are sure to be plenty more films in the coming weeks that are sure to be worth your hard earned money. I give this film {{{2.5 out 5}}}

They said: While this film is worth seeing we suggest you wait to rent, NETFLIX or LOVE/FILM it. We give this film {{{4.5 out of 10}}

QUESTION FOR THE COMMENTS: Have you ever been trapped in a lift?

No comments:

Post a Comment